Monday, December 04, 2006

UFO No More!


I got to sew this weekend. I finished the Log Cabin Wreath I posted a couple of weeks ago. I am really pleased at how it turned out. What do you think?

Now the decorations on this hanging are very special and dear. The buttons all came from my mother's collection. Nancy knew of my plans to use buttons as ornaments, so she brought me a double handful of Mama's buttons when she came for Daddy's funeral last weekend. And she was sure to include a purple and a hot pink button, those being Mama's favorite colors. It made me feel really close to her and Nancy this weekend as I sorted through buttons and decided which went where. I really love the way it came out.

Now this was my second project I completed Sunday afternoon. In my last post I told of stopping by the LQS in Vicksburg on my way home from the funeral. One of the girls I work with got married in June. She wanted a Wedding Ring wall hanging. Now, I don't like to sew curves, and I found this kit that was laser cut fusible. It was PERFECT. I gave it to her this morning, the day after her 6 month anniversary and I thought she was going to cry. She couldn't wait to take it home and show it to her husband. All in all I think it was a perfect weekend.

Now Nancy, I have all but 2 of the colors of embroidery floss to begin the pattern you brought me. I think I will start it as soon as I finish the lettering on the redwork I am doing. I found a more perfect print to border it with in Vicksburg, so that should be the next picture posted.

Well, I'm on Grammy duty tonight. I have the almost 5 year old and I have to get him bathed and in bed for school in the morning. Will visit with all you soon.

10 comments:

Kim West said...

maybe I am a bit biased, but I really love the wreath hanging. ::smile::

The wedding ring quilt is great too - you would never guess that it is fused from the picture.

Nancy said...

They both turned out great! I saw the wreath basted but it's so much nice now that it's finished and decorated. :-)

I still have to finish my current stitchery before I start the pattern I bought for us. You'll probably have it finished and 6 more things before I even get started.

Patti said...

The wreath is wonderful! What a perfect memory piece - both to remember your mother through the buttons and remembering Nancy bringing them to you. Special quilts like this have so much meaning. I hope you put a label with the story on the back. This should be handed down through the family.

Mary Johnson said...

Very nice - two completed projects must feel good.

Gail said...

Two great finishes. Your friend is luck that you did something so special for her. Mother's buttons+Nancy's contribution=family heirloom.

Anonymous said...

I love your wreath and to think you used more of momma's buttons makes it even better. I have a log cabin wreath similar to yours, but I didn't make mine.

Shelina said...

Susan, both of these quilts are really beautiful. Your buttons add that special touch. I was especially drawn to the colors of your wedding ring quilt. I am afraid of sewing curves as well, and cutting them, but fusing might be something I can handle. You did a wonderful job on it.

Hanne said...

Lovely wreath and lovely wedding ring wall hanging.

Peg said...

They both look beautiful, well done on the finish :o)

Cher said...

hurray for getting these projects done-and they both look terrific!