Tuesday, January 02, 2007

I'm Still Here

I really do still exist. I have even picked up a needle lately. I finished the redwork pattern I was working on, except for adding on the borders and quilting it. I was not in the mood to get the sewing machine out this weekend, so I moved on. Nancy gave me a calendar pattern at Daddy's funeral she had bought for me which is a combination of embroidered squares and patchwork setting blocks. The only muslin I had on hand was white, so I spent last Thursday coffee dying it. I then cut out my 6x8 inch blocks and have traced the 12 patterns ready to embroider. But then I had to go buy a small embroidery hoop, because the only two I had we 6 and 8 inches 0 much too large.

I have been fascinated with the look of whole cloth quilts for a few months. I found a free pattern for a 18" block on the internet. I cut it out and traced it about 10 pm Friday night. I have got the center quilted, and am in the process of drawing the "rays" in the inner and outer areas to stitch. I can't wait to finish this one.

I would post pictures of the works in process, but the princess has BOTH digital cameras. I probably won't see her until the weekend, so will post pictures when I can.

It is going to be a busy month. The princess is 30 days from competing in the "Queen of Queen's" Pageant. I have to get the zipper replaced in her pageant gown (I DO NOT do alterations and refuse to do zippers. I usually insert by hand, I hate doing zippers so badly!), we need to find the perfect interview suit, make appointment for hair and make up for Friday interview, Saturday morning evening gown prelims and Saturday night finals. The challenge will be finding someone to do hair Saturday morning early. Makeup is possible - we have a great relationship with the local Merle Norman store - they have come in and opened the store on Sunday to do her makeup for pageants before - but to find a salon to come in at the crack of dawn to do "pageant" hair will be a challenge. I will start working on that Friday when I am off. Any great hairdressers out there in Baton Rouge, LA??????

Well, I have to go back to work. Am at home, kicked back in the lounge chair, but have about 3 more hours of work to get payroll ready for tomorrow's deadline.

6 comments:

Shelina said...

Happy new Year! Sounds like you've been busy. A wholecloth quilt sounds grat - especially one in a manageable size, but I've got to get the UFOs out of the way.

Linda C said...

Good to see you post, Susan! I look forward to see what you are working on as they sound so interesting. I have thought of doing a small wholecloth as well as I love to hand quilt and just don't make time to do it. I've owned a stencil that would make a good one.

bingo~bonnie said...

I love reading about Ashley's pagents - sure does keep you busy it sounds. Good luck with finding someone to do her hair. Can't wait to see photos! Happy Weekend! ~Bonnie

Nancy said...

Happy New Year! I've always wanted to do a whole cloth and I can't believe you're doing one before me!!!!! LOL! I look forward to pictures of yours. Mine will have to wait as I have waaaayyy to many other things going right now to even start about starting something else new.

I'm STILL plugging away on my redwork. Have just the last word to do and then on to the borders. I work on it a little bit here and there. Maybe before we see each other again next it will be finished. And for the pattern I bought for both of us, I think I'm going to trace 4 patterns to a piece of muslin leaving lots of room between them to cut apart. That way I don't have to work with the really small background pieces. (OR buy another hoop!)

Tell Princess we're rooting for her! But also tell her she does not need BOTH cameras. Mama needs one so she can post pictures.

Sue said...

I absolutely love your site. I got addicted to whole cloth quilting when I gave up smoking a few years back. I have been trying to photograph some of them but am finding it hard to get the light right so the pattern shows.

Cher said...

good to read your post...hand work is a nice change of pace