Monday, January 22, 2007

Apologies to Mama, New Year's Resolutions

I hate the telephone! I spend so much time with one stuck to the side of my head at work, I DO NOT pick one up at home. We went totally cellular about 4 years ago, and I only have to answer mine, and everyone knows I hate the phone, so the only time it rings is when it's work or a kid. Occasionally, my older brother, John.

Mama knew that if she wanted to talk to me, she had to call me. The only time I called her was to get a recipe (how do you make cornbread dressing - right in the middle of a delivery!!!) We had wonderful visits on the phone. Precious times, but ALWAYS initiated by Mama.

Now that I am the Mama, and experiencing empty nest syndrome, I have to say, "Mama, I am so sorry I didn't call." You see, my baby is no longer a baby and no longer needs her mother to hold her hand daily. I know this is part of life, but there is an empty place in my heart waiting for her to refill it. It is days like today, I loved to walk in Mama's back door and tell her "mother me". I hope that as she grows and matures, she and I will become the great friends Mama and I did as adults.

So, if it is not too late in the year, I resolve to pick up the phone and call my siblings, just to chat. No itineraries, no favors to ask, just a call for the sheer pleasure of hearing their voices. Nancy, I love communicating via our blogs, private and public, but it is not the same as the phone. When you get ready to change your cell number, post on our private site so I can save it for calls. Expect to hear from me this weekend - I may need a friendly voice after completing our part of preparations for the pageant next week!


I am taking my wholecloth with me and the calendar pattern with me next week. Got to have something to keep my hands and mind busy during the times I cannot participate and just have to hurry up and wait. So hopefully by next weekend I will have quilty pictures and pageant pictures (maybe even a new crown) to post.
This is the crown we are going after. This is the current queen the night she was crowned last year. Wish us luck. I may not get to post again until after the pageant. I will have the laptop and camera with me next weekend, so who knows I may post from the hotel between events.
Bed time now. I have to go the that place tomorrow. Gotta make the bacon.

7 comments:

Sweet P said...

I hate the phone too. The best thing we ever did was go totally cellular - no more sales calls at dinner time. I should call my mom more too. She is usually the one who calls. Thanks for reminding me that it's my turn to call her.

Shelina said...

Susan, I do the same thing - only call people when I need something, and they do the same. But I'm like you, I want my daughter to call me more often than that.

Nancy said...

You know here I always thought you were the GOOD daughter. And now I find out we're more alike than I thought. Cause I never called Mama just to chat either. Like with you she always had to initiate those calls. :-( So I'll resolve right along with you to keep in VOICE touch not just blog/email. I look forward to talking with you this weekend.

And you know if you find yourself in need of "mothering", or just a few days escape from everyday life, you can just head my way. You're always welcome.

Darlene said...

Oh, I'm bad about calling my mom, too.

Just working my way through the Stash Quilts Ring just to say Hi.

Susan said...

I also don't talk on the phone - unless it's my sons, or a little girl who is like a grandchild to me. I didn't have a mother to call, since she died when I was 9. I wonder what she would have thought of all the cell phones now - we had a party line!

Granny said...

I hate the phone too and have a bad habit of calling, asking what I need to know and then getting off the phone.

I meant to call my mom last night and it was too late. Same thing tonight. I'll call her when I get up in the morning. Thanks for the reminder.

Judy L.

Eileen said...

Your post hit me right where it should. I will call my Mom more often-we email but it's not the same.
I'm going through the empty nest feeling like you, only I have 2. Our son recently moved in with his fiancee and our daughter is away at college. I've been initiating the calls lately since they're so busy. At least that's what I tell myself(sigh).