Sunday, May 13, 2007

Busy Weekend

I opened my package from Nancy Saturday morning and fell in love. Too bad it was the day for the youngest grandson's birthday and I have to go shopping for the party. I thought I'd get to play after the party, but the oldest grandson and his best friend butted heads on the slip and slide at the beginning of the party. Grandson only ended up scared and with a great big goose egg on his forehead. Unfortunately, the other one ended up with 9 stitches in his forehead. We had brought him with us, so off to the Emergency Room we head. I broke more traffic laws yesterday than I have in my whole life. My son and grandson were hysterical. The parents were on their way to a wedding and we had to turn them around to meet us at the emergency room. Both boys are fine, so we are lucky. By the time we got done at the ER, went back to the party to sing Happy Birthday and eat cake, I was exhausted when we got in and went to bed early.

Hubby was out of town visiting with his mom for Mother's Day, so I was only me, my son, Scott and the oldest grandson, Dayton home today. DD Ashley came home for a bit this afternoon to visit, but went back to her boyfriend's for a Mother's Day Luau.. So I got to play today. Here is my progress....



















What do you think? What color should I use for the outside border? I moved the border with the name from the bottom of the original design to the top. Thought it kinda looked like clouds in the sky and belonged there more that the bottom. There will be a 1" pink border and the side panel is a mottled pinky/purple with blue and pink stars. Opinions please before I start cutting into more fabric.

My best Mother's Day gift came from my sister. This was one of our mother's most prized possessions.... Her cookbook. It is full of her favorite recipes and still has all the clippings stuffed in it she had in there for years.


















Nancy, did you ever see the last page in the book? I either had not, or it was so long ago I had forgotten. It made me cry and lifted my spirits at the same time. Thank you for this precious gift.
Happy Mother's Day, Mama. I love you and miss you.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Poor boys!!! I'm glad to hear both boys are okay even if there were stitches involved.

I LOVE what you've done with Bailey's quilt. I'm so proud of you. You did a good job of scrappy. Of course you had to control it with the pink borders but they pull everything together and look really nice. Tell me. Did that darker pink come from my house? Cause it sure does look familiar. I swear it looks like the fabric I used as a thin inner border in the quilt I made Mama for Christmas about 8 years ago.

On your borders. I agree the name looks great at the top. And I love that fabric you have for the wide left border. My first thought was a dark pink border on the top and left and a dark purple border on the bottom and right. But then the more I look at it the more I think I'd use a green border. Not a bright green but more a medium jade green. I think it would set the other colors off nicely. Do you have anything that would work?

I do remember that page in the cookbook but it had been a long time since I'd thought about it until I was looking thru it one more time before I mailed it to you. There's a lot of family history in that book. Just look at the pages with the most stains and you can tell which recipes were used most. :-)

Pam said...

Boy -- that must have been some serious head butt! Boy boys!

I think the quilt looks great the way you have it set up. I agree that the name looks good on the top - they fabric does sort of look like clouds.