Friday, May 04, 2007

Progress Report



Okay, this it the long promised picture of the redwork wall hanging Nancy and I purchased and began the last time Dad was in the hospital last year. We took over the reception desk in the ICU waiting room and traced the pattern. Then we sat in the waiting room and stitched. Mine in red, and Nancy's in coral. Don't know if she has finished hers yet, but decided to go ahead and post mine. The wording in the background is difficult to see and read in the picture, but it says, "Some things have to be believed to be seen." It seemed fitting at that difficult time in our lives and gave each of us comfort and companionship as we worked on them. They of course have our individual stamps, not only in coloring, but mine is done in a stem stitch, where, Nancy chose to use a back stitch, so they look similar, but very different, just as we are.


This is the progress I made on this project last week. I got the right side second border on. In addition to that I got all but 20 of the pairs of squares stitched and cut apart for the HST to complete the last 40 blocks for the top and bottom. I hope to get some work done on this one over the weekend, but as Nancy spoke in her blog this weekend I have a special project I am going to be working on, at least the planning...
One of the guys my husband works with has a new 6 year old daughter. She is his niece and both parents are in prison. She has been placed in their care, the the probability of adoption in a year. I decided she needed a quilt of her own in her new home. So Nancy is doing her name in wonky letters for me in girly colors so her name will be on her quilt. I am piecing 12 - 5 1/2 in framed 4 patches in girly colors. It will have a 1 inch border surrounding it, then there will be a wide border down the left side with balloons appliqued (OH NO, THE "A" WORD!) with narrow rickrack "strings". Then the bottom border will be Nancy's wonky letters spelling her name. Finally, an outer border. I can see the completed project in my mind's eye, or maybe it is in my heart, and it is a little girl's dream. I cannot wait to complete it and send it to her. Gotta' get to work pulling fabrics, so I can see my vision brought to life..... Will check back in soon.

8 comments:

Melanie said...

I love the project you're working on and your husband's friend's new daughter will need lots of TLC- a quilt will be the perfect gift... I have a friend who says a quilt gives many hugs even when no one else is in the room....Maybe she'll become your friend too.

QuiltingFitzy said...

I love the design you've thunk up for the little girl's quilt, I can't wait to see it!

You've really gotten back on board with your sewing, wish I could!

Sweet P said...

Beautiful redwork wall hanging. I like the project you're working on now.

Pam said...

Welcome to the Q4P blog ring. I am trying to make the rounds to say hello.

What a lovely little redwork wall hanging. Such a nice idea to have the letters behind the flowers in a lighter colour.

Such a nice thing to give the little girl a quilt for her new home. It must be so hard for her to lose her parents like that and go to live in a new place. I bet she will love the comfort of the quilts.

Cher said...

I wondered where you went from stash ring...just email Judy to get your logo back! good to catch up with you Susan...hope you keep at the quilting now that you are back to it..

Anne Ida said...

Love your idea for a quilt for the little girl! I quilt in which she can snuggle might be just the thing at a time like this.

The red work wall hanging is really sweet!

And I love what you have done so far your Windy Day quilt! Hm... I've got some orphan windblown squares blocks somewhere...

Laurie Ann said...

I like the color combination you are using on that quilt. Lovely!

Linda C said...

The redwork pieces look wonderful, Susan.

Can't wait to see the TLC quilt finished up since I saw the wonky letters Nancy has whipped up for it.