Sunday, May 20, 2007

Disappointing Day - Time to Frog Stitch

I THOUGHT I almost had the top finished. This is it laid out on my living room floor! All that was left was to iron the Sunbonnet Sue down and stitch around it! Not really pleased with the borders, but I figured a six year old wouldn't notice.

Hubby walked by and asked who the quilt was for. I told him and he replied, "You mispelled her name! It is Baylee, I made the same mistake and she corrected me!" So I guess, the ripper and I have a date for next weekend. Might as well fix the borders while I am at it. Thought I would be quilting next weekend, but maybe the next one.

Hubby's passing comment ALMOST made me head to the trash with the whole thing: my entire day of sewing, down the tubes! Almost rage at yet another mother who has to make up the spelling of a child's name (the home health agency I run cares for about 60-80 premature infants at any given time, and the spellings of some names make your head spin). Then I did an internet search and find that on the first 3 of 4 sites I visited, the Baylee is an accepted alternate spelling for Bailey - nto that I have ever seen that spelling in almost 51 years. I could feel a MAJOR blue funk coming on. I went and sat outside for a few minutes and realized, I only have to figure out how to make one E. I have all the rest of the letters. Fortunately, Nancy sent me the scraps from the letters, so that should be easy, and I can try to copy her E. And the borders are really not right, and while a six year old might not realize it, I do, and that is not my standard. Mama would never have allowed me to get away with mistakes so obvious.

I think I will do something quick after this. I believe the next thing to do is a set of placemats that have caught my eye. That should appease my need to finish something easily.

7 comments:

Nancy said...

Well Damn! I'm so sorry you found out after having the top almost finished. The E will be really easy to make. It's the easiest except for the I. Just take the measurments off the one I made. Or better yet, make them a bit different so the 2 letters don't look identical at the end. I'd offer to do it for you but I sent all the background fabric to you.

Why don't you make it a bit easier on yourself and rip just a little bit each night? It won't seem like such a daunting task and you can just do 15 minutes each night while you watch tv. It's how I handle any ripping chores cause I HATE to rip and if faced with a lot of ripping will normally just put the project aside and rarely finish it. This is looking so nice and it will be a great quilt for a little girl when you finish.

And honestly I don't think the border is all that bad. At least from the picture it looks pretty good. Love the green you found for the outer border. It's almost exactly what I was picturing when you asked for advice. If you leave the borders alone all you'll have to rip is enough ofthe border to get to the letters and then the letters themselves.

I do feel your frustration. Just try to shake it off and giturdun. It's going to be so nice when done and you'll be so proud of yourself. THEN you can make your placemats. A nice quick project is just the ticket after one that becomes a chore as this one is turning into.

(((HUGS))) You can do this!

QuiltingFitzy said...

Goodness, don't be so hard on yourself...you didn't know!!! 8^)

The borders are fine. This quilt is going to be loved to death, carted here and there and sniggled and snuggled. BailEE is never going to say, "Um, I love the quilt, but the border?"

Unsew enough of the border to make your corrections and zip that baby up!!!

It's lovely Susan, really it is!

Hugs!

Laurie Ann said...

Grrr... what a bummer! I hate ripping out. I don't blame you for being frustrated. But you gotta do it. Baby steps and you'll have it done in no time!

Mary said...

Oh No! So sorry for you! Its too lovely to trash!

Shelina said...

Susan, this is such a beautiful quilt! So sweet and pretty. I'm not sure what you think is wrong with the border, but I can certainly understand your frustration with the spelling of your name. Luckily it is a one letter change.

Linda C said...

It could be a lot worse, Susan! Lets look for the silver lining. You can selvage most of the letters and only have to take off enough of the border to switch a few of them around.

The letters are supposed to be a little wonky anyway so it doesnt have to be identical to what Nancy helped you with.

Your husband just saved you the embarassment of handing over a quilt to the mama with her child's name mispelled. Even if it made you none to happy at the time, that was good information to have.

I don't mind ripping at all--sometimes it is the best thing to do if something bothers you enough--like a block backwards or upside down. Other times, naw, galloping horse rule.

jovaliquilts said...

Ouch -- how discouraging! But it's such a lovely quilt, sure to be appreciated, so I hope that keeps you going. I know what you mean about sometimes needing a project you can just finish up. Hope that takes the edge off!
Cheri