Sunday, August 06, 2006

Questions Answered

Thanks for the comments to my last 2 posts. I think this is going to be a blast. Nancy may never speak to me again, but I think, eventually, she will forgive me.

I will post pictures of the progress on my set of blocks. It is Nancy's choice if she wants to share or keep me in suspense.

The quilt will be 5 rows of 5 blocks, so if we decide no sashing or borders, it will be 15"x15".

I have spent my quiet time this morning (translation: everyone else in the house is still sleeping) cutting out blocks. I have 5 more cut out in snack sized baggies with the name of the block written on the outside for reference, so I have 1/2 of my set of blocks cut out ready to assemble. I will get Nancy's share of the fabrics in the mail Monday and eagerly await the arrival of her fabric choices so I can start cutting miniscule pieces again.

The biggest problem I had with hand piecing last night is that the eye on small needles is SO small I can barely tread it anymore. Does anyone know of a brand of needles that is fine enough for hand piecing ( I'm piecing with neutral silk thread) with an eye large enough for MATURE women to see it? I had stopped sewing a couple of years ago when I could no longer thread the machine without frustration. Thank God, my new machine has a built-in threader, or I may not have decided to begin quilting.

Well, the biggest native (DH) is up, so I guess it is time to begin the weekly chores. Will try to cut more blocks between loads of laundry and playing helpmate - he is cooking again today, which means I play fetch all day. But beef tips in gravy for the freezer is needed. The grocery had them on sale, B1G1 last weekend so I bought a couple of large packs to cook for the freezer. Oh well, other than fetching for his, I will give him something to do to feel he is making a contribution to the family. It has been hard on him having only one function hand. It is getting better, but he is a long way from well. He tried to shoulder his shotgun this morning and realized he will not be ready for opening day of dove season on September 2. We will hope for the best, and be glad for what we have.

9 comments:

Susan said...

I know John James used to make a big eye needle for piecing, but I don't know if they still do. You can ask your local quilt store to check with their supplier. You aren't the only woman who would like that!

Sweet P said...

I use John James needles for hand work. I have two tips I use for hand work. First I use a Clover Threader to thread my needle. Second I thread six needles at a time on the spool. That way I can get a lot of piecing done without having to stress about threading a needle. Hope this helps.

ForestJane said...

*grins*

I was trying to translate B1G1 into Beef In Gravy 1? Big 1? till I figured out it was Buy 1 Get 1.

*thumps head on monitor*

Sounds good!

Bonnie said...

Hand sewing, doing counted cross-stitch, and threading the machine are constant problems for me. Yes, I am mature - AND I am blind in one eye which messes up perspective. I use a magnifying glass. It really helps and I can do all the tiny work I want to do.

Nancy said...

I can definately share your frustration with the needle issue. I've had to give up my beloved size 12 quilting betweens because I just can't see to thread them anymore. Especially with the Gutermanns quilting thread I've been using that is a bit thicker than what I used to use. So I went to a 10. Can't get stitches as small but I can thread it so it's a decent compromise for me.

I do remember reading somewhere that if you put a piece of bright white paper behind the needle when you're trying to thread it the white will "shine" thru the eye and make it easier to see. It does kinda work so you might give that a try.

Also someone mentioned the Clover Threader. A lot of people swear by them. I have one but it just would not work with my quilting thread and a #12 needle. I haven't tried it with anything else but it should work well with the fine silk thread. You can get them at most quilt shops or Hancocks or JoAnns. Cost around $12-$15 if I remember but well worth it IMO.

And don't forget Flo's tip from years back. Don't lick your thread. Lick your fingers and pass the eye of the needle between them. It really does make the end of the thread just POP into the eye if you have a sharp cut on the thread and no frayed edges. Again doesn't work so well with the thick quilting thread and #12 needle but I've never had any problem with this method with regular thread and needle.

Eileen said...

I have the Clover threader, and I use Roxanne's betweens for hand piecing. The size 11's stitch like a 12 but have an eye like a 10. If you can't find those, Connecting Threads has John James big eye needles.

Laurie Ann said...

Do you have to hand piece the blocks, or can you use the machine? Where did you find these patterns?

Cynthia said...

Good for you getting more of your blocks cut. I'll be watching your progress with this quilt.

Cher said...

I don't worry about the eye of the needle- I use a clover table size threader..check your quilt shop or catalogs-it's like having a self threader for your hand needles..fool proof!