Friday, August 18, 2006

MY Prized Possession

This is MY most prized possession. My maternal grandmother made this quilt for me before I got married. I think she thought I needed something to keep me warm at night, since I was almost 25 before I got married.

It has been well loved and used. It has frayed almost all the way around. There are stitches that have popped and is in a great state of disrepair. It drives my husband nuts that we drag it around the house and snuggle under it still. He thinks it should be put away and admired from afar.

Granny made quilts for utility. They were meant to be used. And it is in her honor that I continue to USE this quilt. One day I will spread it out on the kitchen table and do what I can to repair the loose patches and holes in it, but until that day, it will continue to be used. It provides not only warmth, but comfort when it is needed most.

I remember my grandmother beginning to teach me to embroider when I was about 6 years old. Pillowcases, if I remember correctly. I remember her cutting out cardboard templates and patiently cutting out quilts, one piece at a time. The only pair of scissors I ever remember her using looked to be a pair of barber-style scissors. The only sewing machine she ever had was an old Singer treadle machine, that had a motor added to it. Nancy is in possession of that sewing machine.

Granny was my favorite grandparent. She was simple, country folk. She lived in a TINY 3 bedroom Jim Walter house that she and her children chopped cotton to buy. She was SO proud of that house. Now this house had ONE heater in it, and that was in the living room. So winter nights were spent under PILES of quilts on the bed. I grew so used to the weight of the quilts on the bed, that to this day I sleep under a blanket or quilt year round (I'm also the cold natured one in the family).

Granny, like my mother, was one of the most generous and non-judgemental people I have ever known. She, like Mama, accepted people as they were without reservation. Although, my mother and I became great friends as adults, we had a very tempetuous relationship during my teen years. I would threaten to go live with Granny weekly, it seemed. When we really needed a break from each other, I would go stay with her for a few days. We would just sit and talk, and soon I was back home where I really belonged. She was a very special lady and raised my mother to be the same. I miss the ability to walk in that back door at home and say, "I'm tired and discouraged. Please, mother me."

You know they say what goes around, comes around. My teenage daughter and I at times have the same type relationship that Mama and I did. I draw strength from the memories of my adult relationship with Mama, and pray, that Ashley and I will have the same strong tie when she grows up. Posted by Picasa

15 comments:

Jenni said...

What a lovely story, and a lovely quilt. It is nice to know that your husband appreciates the value of the quilt.

Nancy said...

LOL! I really have to laugh at your last statement. How MANY time did I hear Mama say, "I hope you have a child JUST like you when you grow up." Boy did she curse you or what?

Such wonderful memories of Granny. I never heard a cross word about Mama from Granny but in the last few years before I moved to TX Mama let slip a few comments that lead me to believe she and Granny had much the same tempetuos relationship in her teen years that you and Mama did in yours. Wonder if Granny "cursed" her with you, too. "-)

I spent many a day at Granny's too. Not as an escape but just for the shear pleasure of her company. Though our visits didn't involve the great conversations yours did. :-) We were content to sit in silence while we snapped beans or baked bread. Or sometimes I'd just read while she sewed. Quiet, comfortable times. And maybe she realized that's what I needed. Cause life at home you know was seldom quiet. :-)

Granny taught me how to bake bread and to this day the smell of bread straight from the oven reminds me so much of those times.

Sweet P said...

What a great story! I think your Granny performed her role as Granny like everyone woman should. My Dema was the same way. A wonderful lady whom I still miss to this day.

Melanie said...

I loveyour writing. I grew up in Louisiana, brings back lots of memories. I love your quilts.

Melanie

Vicky said...

What wonderful memories of your grandmother. Unfortunately, both of mine died before I was born. I always felt I missed out on something.

The quilt is lovely. And it should be used and loved! Thanks for sharing it!

((HUGS))

Libby said...

Your treasured quilt is lovely -- I'm so happy when I see things being used instead of kept in a cupboard to "use for good." What does that mean, anyway.
Mother/daughter relationships can be difficult, but they can bring great joy as well.
Thanks for sharing both.

Cynthia said...

Thanks for sharing the story of the quilt and your Granny.

Melzie said...

I am SO enjoying yours and Nancy's memory posts, more more! ;) xoxo melzie

Linda C said...

Let's see, you are the older of the two sisters, right? I tell you, my mom and I used to be at such loggerheads but once I got through the teens and even my 20's it got better. Of course now we both quilt and can yak about that all the time.

I can see why you would treasure your quilt and have loved it to death almost.

ForestJane said...

aww... what great memories you have!

Susan said...

This is another wonderful quilt. What terrific memories you girls share.

Eileen said...

How wonderful that you have such memories of your "Granny". I don't remember either of my grandmothers. One I never met and one died when I was about 3.
It's also great that you and your daughter are beginning the same type of relationship.

Shelina said...

What a great story and a great quilt. It is especially good that you took the time to write down your family memories.
I always have that worry about my mother's quilts - should I use them lovingly, or should I save them to treasure. Since I can't make up my mind consistently, I usually go back and forth, so sometimes they are used and sometimes they are stored.

Patti said...

Thank you so much for sharing your precious heirloom quilts and your precious memories. These are the things that made me fall in love with quilts and the idea of quilting long before I had a chance to actually learn how. What wonderful memories you two have to cherish. It's very special that you've shared them with us.

Passionate Quilter said...

that is a really great story about your grandma! and to have a quilt to have and hold all those memories wrapped up in it is so special. You, girl, are a blessed woman! She sounds like a wonderful lady, and grandmother. My only hope is that my grandkids think the same of me one day. thanks for sharing!