Saturday, August 05, 2006

Mostly for Nancy

My sister, Nancy and I are going to participate in the Fons and Porter Quilt Together contest. We thought it would be fun to do something "quilty" together, even though we live far apart. Okay, I confess, it was my idea, and she is going along to amuse me. See, the quilt is made up of 25 different 3" blocks. Then, I decided I wanted to use 30's prints to get them out of my system. So, she upped the ante and said she'd do 30's, but we were going to do 2 quilts, one in my choice of 12 30's prints with a light background, and one in HER choice of 12 brights with a black background. We will each select 12 blocks and make one of each - 30's and brights. Then we each will select 1 other block for the last one. We will be left with 2 quilts that we each had a part in making. This picture is the 12 fabrics and background fabric that made the cut for my quilt. There are also 8 solids that coordinat that I may or may not send. That would break the rule of 12 fabrics with one background.

These are the orphans that I purchased that did not make the cut. They were SOOOOOOOOOO upset about being left out, that the first picture was blurry and I had to retake it. It was almost as if they were crying. Some of them I really like, but I was limited to 12. And I wanted 12 DIFFERENT prints and ones that had other fabrics that blended well.

Nancy, I'm ready to start selecting patterns whenever you are. I can cut out some blocks to hand piece to take with me the next couple of weekends. Otherwise I will not get much quilting done for the next 2 weekends.

We have pageant practices Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday nights. We will spend Friday getting nails, feet and brows tamed. Then Saturday the pageant activities begin at 9:30 am with interviews. Then on to hair and makeup. The pageant begins at 7:30 pm and the queen and court are honored at a gala at one of the local Country Clubs afterwards. So the day is going to be long for me with much "hurry up and wait" time that I can hand piece blocks.

The following weekend, I will be out of town doing the in-law thing to celebrate my MIL and my birthdays. I would like to be able to take some blocks to hand piece to calm my nerves for both events.

I will get the fabrics cut and in the mail the first of next week. Please don't forget to put my box of "stuff" in the mail. I will need it to begin resizing complex blocks to 3". Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Linda C said...

3 inch blocks? Oh, my! You and Nancy will have your hands full with this one.

SuBee said...

Oh my! 3 inches finished? And what fun - a long distance collaboration - this is going to be really fun to watch. Will you keep updated on your blogs, or is it a secret from each other what you're doing?

Susan H. said...

No secrets. We will post progress reports as we go.

ForestJane said...

I saw that in the magazine too, but whew, three inch blocks is too teeny for me. :)

It'll work well for their contest though, if you're expecting a whole bunch of blocks, 3 inches is a good size.

Sweet P said...

What a great idea! I wish I had a sister or SIL who quilted, but no luck there. I like your color choices. Keep us updated on your progress.

Cynthia said...

I will be watching your progress with interest. I love 1930's prints. I think the blocks will so cute.

Susan said...

That would be hard to choose! Are you hand-piecing every single block? What a wonderful way to share being sisters, even if you are so far apart.

The Calico Cat said...

I think you chose the better of the 30s... (Those reds don't play nice IMHO with the others.) With that said, I can't wait to see Nancy's as I am a brights gal!