Thursday, August 17, 2006

What a Heritage We Share

Since little progress is being made on the sewing front around here, thought I would share some of my and Nancy's rich quilting heritage with you. This quilt is one of 4 that was passed down from my paternal grandmother family that dates to the Civil War. When our mother died, my daughter brought this home with her as one of Memaw's treasures.
This quilt has been a favorite of mine for years. It has never been completed. Again this quilt was passed down from my fathers side of the family. Nancy is the real historian and could tell you which great-aunt made it. Mama was going to finish it - she got as far as sewing the blocks to a sheet and basting it together. ONE day, I am going to hand quilt this one.



Nancy has referred to the only quilt Mama ever finished. This is the quilt she made my son, Scott for his first birthday. This is his my valued possession. She literally finished it right before his party. It is also responsible for Scott's first independent steps. See, he picked up an empty spool of thread, and thinking he was holding on to something, walked across the room!

There is one more quilt I have to share. Somehow Picassa did not import it, so I will go back and get it and post it.... Posted by Picasa

14 comments:

Linda C said...

What treasures you have there! I can see how Scott would love the one that was made for him--a good boy's pattern and in colors he would enjoy no matter how old he gets.

Is that pastel one tumbling blocks? Someone donated some pieces on freezer paper to sew one--something I have never tried.

Melzie said...

Beautiful quilts, but more beautiful stories. I would love a pattern to the ship quilt I bet he loves it! xoxo melzie

Nancy said...

I started posting a short history of the quilts here but it got really long so if you want to read what I know of them you'll have to go to my blog. :-)

Hopefully the last quilt you plan to share is the one Granny made for you.

Passionate Quilter said...

Happy Birthday!! Hope you had an enjoyable day.

It is so wonderful for you to own the "family" quilts--and such a rich history. What true treasures you have, not too many are that blessed. I'm sure you'll take very good care of them so the next generation is as blessed as you.

Cher said...

wow, wonderful quilts, especially your sons. and great stories too...

Cynthia said...

Thanks for sharing those photos and the stories that went with them. They are all lovely.

Sweet P said...

Thanks for sharing these beautiful quilts. It's great to know that people are keeping history alive.

Gail said...

I'm so glad that you have these wonderful links to the past that have come down through your family. Thank you for sharing with us.

Marlublu said...

I love the scrappy historical quilt and the Thumbling blocks,well, I just fell in love with that one. You realy should quilt it. It's a perfect girl quilt but the history alone is worth quilting it. I hope my quilts will be around for that long. Happy Birthday! You're only as old as you think so think young.

Jenni said...

It must be great to have that sort of history, right in the house. My Mum started quilting about 6 months before me (!) but she has given it up. She does embroidery and Ikebana instead.
I was looking at a book in the LQS today which had a very similar pattern to the sailing boats. I think it was called something like Quilt Revival - it is fairly new and is full of 1930s style quilts.

Vicky said...

Those quilts are just beautiful! I read Nancy's blog first. No matter what the "real" story, they're definitely historically significant, not only to your family but to all of us. Thanks for sharing them!

((HUGS))

Samantha said...

whatgreat family heirlooms!

Susan said...

They are beautiful quilts, and you are so fortunate to have them. To think that the two of you are carrying on the heritage!

Shelina said...

These are great quilts. That unfinished one has such wonderful coloring. I look forward to seeing how you quilt it. :)
And nice story about learning to walk.