Sunday, July 23, 2006

Gonna Give this a try

Think it's time I ventured into blog-world. Been communicating with my sister for several months in a private blog and visiting some of her blog-world friends through her blog site. I am a full-time nurse who would like to be a full-time quilter. I have rediscovered the sewing machine after many years away. I have sewed since I was a child, but when my daughter got old enough, that she no longer wanted "homemade" one of a kind dresses, the machines got put away. She is now 17 and in less need of mom, now that she has her driver's license and a car. Sooooooooo, what to do with all that time off, when I used to have to ferry her here and there?



My sister is an avid quilter or should I say piecer - her UFOs are numerous (I am working hard at catching up with her). She sent me a link to her blog site and seeing her beautiful creations inspired me to pull the machines out. I recently visited her in Texas and this is the gift I took her. She collects cats - or maybe they collect her. All the strays seem to know she has a soft heart and will not allow a cat to starve, so they keep coming. They have litters and she names them all.

Today, I have to get laundry done for the week. Yesterday I spent playing "Queen Mother". My 17 year old is the reigning Teen Miss Louisiana Cajun Queen. She was a visiting queen at one of the local pageants yesterday, so I joined her for the festivities. She will be competing in 3 weeks for the Sugar Queen Pageant in our parish and has decided she has to win, because she really wants the State Title and the Crown that goes with it!! This is a picture of her with her Miss Queen the day she won her first crown. She is the one on the right. funny enough, her Miss Queen, is also named Ashley, and they were both Contestant #3 in their divisions. She has been a great Miss Queen, giving my Ashley the confidence to compete now in the Miss Division. She competed in her first Miss Pageant a couple of months ago (her first interview which counted as 50% of the score) and placed 3rd. I am so proud of her. She is a very strong young woman.

3 comments:

Nancy said...

Welcome to blogland! You finally made it. Now maybe you'll post those pictures you've been promising me! Enquiring minds want to know what that mysterious project is you were telling me about the other day.

Susan said...

I don't think I ever knew anyone "real" who competed in pageants! Cool! She is beautiful.

The Calico Cat said...

Beautiful daughter & I love that cat quilt - bet you could guess by my blog name, huh?