Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Is it time to retire yet?

How do ya'll find time to work, watch kids, keep a house, cook, maintain blogs, visit blogs, post comments and still be able to quilt. You must be sacrificing sleep time, because I just can't figure it out. If I spend time posting, I can't sew. If I spend time "visiting" and "commenting" I can't sew. If I sew, I can't maintain the blog, visit and comment. Must be either the JOB or the sleep that is getting in the way. Would much rather give up the JOB and sit and quilt, blog and visit, but my family and I have gotten into this really bad habit of liking to sleep inside in the air conditioning and eating regular meals. Then there is the 17 year old that thinks if it doesn't come from Hollister (THANK GOD she works there), Ambercrombie or Victoria's Secret it cannot be put on her body. Think I can get her part time jobs at Ambercrombie and Vickie's Place to defray some costs???? Then throw into the mix that she is a varsity cheerleader and does pageants............


But this too shall pass. In 2 years, my darling Ashley will be a part-time resident, which means one less to cook for and clean up after; less laundry etc. She won't want mom around for pageants or shopping sprees as often. Guess I had better enjoy this time in my life, because it will be gone so soon and not return again. She made varsity cheerleader this year and was so proud. I made her this quilt to take to cheer camp. If you use a little poetic license the snail's trails look like pom poms. Her school colors are of course black and gold and her team is the Gators - hence the alligator fabric for the border and backing. She took a fabric marker with her and had all her teammates autograph the yellow blocks, so she has a true treasure to remember her first year on the varsity squad. I had a blast making it and MOST of my corners line up.

Had a hard day at work today, so I think I'll "visit" a while and go to bed.

8 comments:

SuBee said...

Welcome to Blogworld, Susan! I've been an avid reader of your sisters for quite awhile, and you have all the makings of another great read. You're so right about the brief time you have left with your daughter - it will last about another 10 minutes, then it's over. The camp quilt is a treasure - what a great idea! Keep it up!

Nancy said...

It's a delicate balance of time management. Thank goodness for Bloglines! Until I started using it I usually only had time to flip thru the rings and no time to comment. Now I check bloglines a few times a day - usually at work when I have odd bits of time and a few times during the evening. I used to spend a lot more time at it hence the fact that not much quilting (or housework!) got done. Now I sew a bit, check a few blogs, vacumn, check a few blogs, sew a bit more, check blogs, cook supper, etc....... And I sleep in odd spurts lately so often you find me checking blogs in the middle of the night or, like now, when I've gotten up a bit early and don't want to make a lot of noise to disturb David who's still sleeping.

Saska said...

Nancy sent me! I took subscribe to Bloglines to keep up with the blogs I like. You're definitely going to be added.
I also have two at home and am thinking that someday...someday they'll all be gone...won't they?...please?

Quilt when you can, sleep when you should and enjoy life to the fullest! We're only here for a short time. Make the most of what you have and keep up the good work!

Welcome from western Oklahoma.

Eileen said...

Hi Susan,
I'm a newbie to blogging, just like you. I work 2 jobs part time during the school year, and then during the summer, I work one of them full time.
Unfortunately, I spend way too much time on the computer. I should be working or sewing or cleaning. But I'm trying to create the balance Nancy is talking about.
I'm sure you'll find it too.

Shelina said...

Welcome Susan. Nancy sent me. Your quilt is so adorable. That pattern has been on my to-do list for a long while.
How do we do it all? Haha. We don't. It is all an illusion. Prioritize and let the housekeeping slide a bit, and enjoy the time with your daughter. If you can multitask - by teaching her to quilt with you - that might help you on the quilty front. Otherwise do whatever little you can sneak in.

Susan said...

Nancy sent me. =)

Don't wish your life away! It all comes in good time. But yes, I gave up a lot of sleep when I was still working. =) I could do it Monday through Wed. but by Thurs. I had to go to bed!

The Calico Cat said...

Nice quilt - Welcome to the ring! (BTW I blog on breaks at work & I use bloglines, so I don't keep visiting blgos that have not been updated since my last visit...) I also have sewing time becasue I don't have any kids (yet) and my husband can fend for himself.

ForestJane said...

Welcome!

I'll have to put in a plug for bloglines too, it really helps with the 70 or so blogs I subscribe to, to ONLY visit those that have posted something.