Sunday, July 23, 2006

Teasers


This is the inspiration for my "mystery project" . While visiting online shops for the Shop Hop, I came across this kit at Country Quilting. The pattern spoke to me loudly. They only had the kit for the pattern. I could not find just the pattern, so what is a girl to do. I don't have EQ so that was not an option. I tried using graph paper, but kept messing up and having to start over (guess I was being a little obsessive-compulsive). So I thought and thought and ERGO!!!!! the solution came to me in a flash. What about using an Excel spreadsheet. After all, I had printed the graph paper from a Works spreadsheet.......






So............. here is step 2 to my Mystery Project. I guess you can tell by the colored pencils, it is being done in dark red, green, tan. The inner border is a light yellowy/beige and the outer border is black with all the colors in it. I would post pictures of the completed blocks ( I have the inner blocks pieced but not yet assembled, but Queen Ashley hasn't come home yet today and she has the digital camera. I can see it is about time for us to become a 2 digital camera family. Maybe I will get her one for Christmas. Then I won't have to wait to use the camera.

Then came the fun part.... figuring out yardage on my own. Of course I screwed up royally and the first purchase only covered enough fabric for the center blocks. Purchase #2 bought the rest. They are all cut out ready for me to set the squares together and cut into the HST for assembly. Hope to work on it some this afternoon.

Friday night I worked on completing the Table Runner from the Cotton Theory class I took last week. Got it all assembled, now I just have to decide on the binding fabrics and manufacture the 2 sided binding. That is the hard part, since both sides are so different. One side if black and white, the other yellow/gold/tans and brown. Again, will post a picture when I get the camera.

Still haven't been able to sit down and complete Ashley's Quilt. Can't face those rows and rows of off white fabric. Maybe soon..........

Off to set up the sewing machine. Have been a good girl and almost done with the laundry. Now I get to play.

5 comments:

Nancy said...

Very nice! You do have a thing for half-square trianges don't you? LOL! This is going to beautiful when you finish it. And definately you need a new camera! Why wait and get Ashley a new one for Christmas? Don't YOU have a birthday coming up real soon?

Figuring yardage isn't really hard once you break your design down. We'll have to have a lesson on that next time we get together.

Nancy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kim West said...

very nice - can you explain how you used excel for the planning? I have EQ, but interested in another way of doing it.

Susan H. said...

I set the number of columns according to the number of squares and made them narrow. Then I used the cell formatting to place the diagonal lines in the direction they needed to go for the hst. The borders were just open cells that I merged so there were no lines in them. Couldn't figure out how to color just 1/2 of the square, to I printed it out and got the colored pencils to it so I would have a pattern to work from. It was a real challenge, but I have often said lately, I don't really know enough about quilting yet to know what should be too advanced for my skill level, so if I like it, I go for it. My HST and squares are lining up better every time. I also use my mother as a guide as to when to rip. When she taught me how to sew, I spent much time ripping. Now my gauge is - if mama was here would she make me rip - if the answer is yes, out comes the ripper and I start unsewing.

Shelina said...

Congratulations on designing your own quilt!

I tried designing my maze quilt on a spreadsheet and couldn't figure out how to do it. I have printed off some graph paper from the internet. I think this will work much better for me.
Figuring yardage is hard for me too. What seems like too much is just enough, and what seems like not enough is plenty. I have a book called Patchwork without Mathwork that helps a lot. But mostly I make scrappy quilts so I can fudge any calculation errors.